Number five in a series of posters dedicated to capturing the essence of cycling's 'Monuments' - the oldest, longest and toughest races in cycling.
Paris-Roubaix... L'Enfer du Nord (The Hell of The North). The queen of the Classics, and the wildest and toughest of them all.
A series of brutal 'secteurs' of pavé, the rough, cobbled farm tracks that criss-cross northern France, which erode the field and batter riders and equipment alike. The names of the secteurs are fabled, but the most famous of them all is the feared Trouée d'Arenberg (Arenberg Trench), an arrow-straight length of road running through the Arenberg Forest. Hit at full speed, the decaying cobbles are dangerous and decisive. The race is never won here, but it can be lost in an instant.
In 1981 the great French rider Hinault won in Roubaix for the only time. He crashed seven times on the way to victory - the final crash took place when a dog ran into his path. In my artwork you can see Hinault's dog peeking through the trees waiting for the unsuspecting riders, and the decaying cobbles stretching relentlessly through the forest.
- Giclee print, archival ink on acid-free, gallery-grade art paper
- Each print is meticulously hand-trimmed and finished in our print studio
- Frames are individually handmade by us in our print studio using lovely FSA certified solid hard wood (British Ash) with very high quality Acrylic Glass (hard to tell the difference from real glass)
- Frames are carefully prepared, taped, sealed (by us) and provided with saw-tooth hangers
- Each frame includes a smart label on the reverse showing framed by hand by us in our studio
- Framing available for Medium and Large prints only
- For mounted prints, we use a Medium (A3) print then mount it in a Large (A2) frame.
- All frames are hand built to order in our studio. Please allow a 3-5 day turnaround
- Once ready, all frames are shipped for next day delivery within a one hour time slot
- Framed prints are dispatched using custom made packaging to ensure safe transit
POSTER & FRAME SIZES
- Medium Poster A3 - No Mount - 420x297mm (Frame Size 450x327x34mm)
- Medium Poster A3 - Mounted - 420x297mm (Frame Size 627x450x34mm)
- Large Poster A2 - No Mount - 597x420m (Frame Size 627x450x34mm)